If I had a Million Dollars


Fairly often I think about what I would do if I had a million dollars. That turns into the question - What would I do if I never had to worry about money again in my life? - My answer is very different than most people I ask about this. Trying to get away from this train of thought was not helped when I received the Fiddler on the Roof sound track for Christmas.

Last week an email make it past the spam blockers and it sounded like a scam. I decided that if it was real I shouldn't pass it up. It stated that I was a winner of an MS-Word lottery for 1.9M dollars. I decided to set up a bank account with only one dollar in it so they could not steal more than a dollar from me.

Then my mind started wondering again - What would I do with the money if I had 1.9M dollars?
First, I know that the government would take about 28% or more. So I would be left with a little more than a million dollars. I googled to find out what the internet suggested for lottery winners of more than $50,000. It was very useful information but I had to first find out if it was real. In the mean time these were some of the ideas that I had:

First, start 5, 10-20 year, CDs of about $40,000 each. One for each of my children's college education.
Second, I would help my siblings with their debts. I would not relieve them of their debts but I would pay off their debts to their creditors and then have them owe me for a fraction of the interest that they previously owed their creditors. Or, maybe no interest at all, they are my siblings after all and if I had that much money I might just relieve them of interest so long as they regularly payed me back.
Third, I would buy an Eink Starter Kit.
Fourth, I would buy a house; but, I would wait till my lease was over.
Fifth, I would use the interest off of the remaining amount to pay for Tiffany's schooling.
And last, I would start developing my several invention ideas.

During this time I would not quit my job unless they fired me. I would try to have the Eink displays integrated into some of the products at National Instruments.

If I had all money I could ever want, I would do what I said above but I would also do a couple more things:
I would start a health clinic where I would consolidate the research on the seven core elements of health.
I would either start a business or sink a fair amount of money into the development of the Eink type of displays so they could actually rival todays displays. Or, if electrochromic materials could do the job I would work to develop that.
Once these companies were well archetected and my children were out of the house I would go on missions for my church with my wife. I would want to do some temple missions, some service missions and some procoliting missions.

Well, come to find out, banks don't have a way to prevent overdrafts. This is rediculous to me because they can prevent a debit card from being over-drafted. So, I gave up trying to scam the scammers. If you Google search this you will find that it is a scam that has been going on for a couple years. Anyway, it was pretty funny looking at their phony documents with their terrible wording and graphics from both the lottery as well as the form from the South Africa bank.

Comments