Why Seven?


I am now a blogger. I thought for my first entry I would explain the title of my blog. If you know me much you know that my favorite number is seven. There are many reasons for this, and they are all scriptural. The sevens that are not scriptural, I created based on the scriptures and are my ponderings or inspirations. The idea of a seven structure existing in the scriptures was introduced to me during a BYU Education Week in 2004 and I continued to learn about it each year for four years.

Here are some of the scriptural examples: The creation (this is the most obvious one, all accounts), the seven feasts and festivals, the seven cities of refuge, the seven sons of Jesse, the seven parables of Matthew 13, the seven houses (of the Lord), the seven churches of revelation, and the seven beatitudes (ask me about the eighth). Some that are not obvious are the structure of the allegory of the Good Samaritan, the progression in Isaiah 55, the rest of the sermon on the mount (or at the temple), the allegory of the olive tree, and the seven cities where Alma preaches.
Some of mine that are either based on scripture or my ponderings and inspirations are the progression of faith, the progression of repentance, and the seven core elements of health.

These are some examples of sevens. You may be able to tell that seven is not the only number that I like; I like every number from one to eight. Each number in these examples are important and symbolic in their order and progression. I may explain some of these later on, in future posts.

Comments

Chantalita said…
Welcome to the world of blogging!!

Should I write that seven times?
Brooklyn said…
Hey friend:) this is your old dance practice partner. from 280 on, you know. fyi. if i ever comment on your blog. :)
Elizabeth said…
Hurrah! You have a blog. I look forward to reading it. I think this is some interesting stuff you've got here. By the way, you never did show me your paper on Isaiah 55. I'm still interested in reading it.