The Light of the Body


The eye opens up the mind to the world around us. But not everyone can see as clearly as others. The most common eye problem in America these days, I believe, is nearsightedness - Myopia. My eyes started going bad in preschool. I think that's when I first needed glasses. A few years later I started asking about methods to reverse my eyes so I wouldn't need glasses. I asked the eye doctors what methods were out there and they told me about the only method that they had heard of - solid black glasses with one pinhole in each lens. I forget what it was supposed to do but she said that it wasn't known to have a high success rate.

I remember one time I thought all I needed to do was take off my glasses and focus really hard on something outside of my focus range. I told my parents that I could see the digital clock across my bedroom and I would tell them what time it was. I thought my eyes were improving, so at church I would take off my glasses and try to see the hymn numbers posted at the front of the church. Actually, now that I think about it, this particular incident was probably during a time I lost my glasses.

All hope of improving my eyes naturally, diminished as they got progressively worse over the years. It was genetics; both my parents have bad eyes and all five of us children do too. Every so often, however, I would think of some reason that it was not fully genetics. Reasons like, people that read a lot have worse eyes. But I could not give these ideas any scientific substance.

Then about a year ago I clicked on my first gmail add. It was very intriguing, reminding me of several childhood hopes. Rebuild Your Vision: Better Eyesight Without Glasses, Contacts, or Surgery - Learn The Eye Exercise Program That Has Huge Success Improving Vision. I bought it and started to try it. And so far have not had the diligence to keep up the program for more than two weeks straight. When I choose to be diligent and try it out I believe that I will be able to improve my vision.

Soon after I bought this I shared it with a friend in my ward who worked at an optometrist office and discussed the principles with him. He borrowed the book and showed his optometrist. The feedback from the optometrist was that he could not understand how the eye could physically reverse. The premise in the book is that by working out and relaxing the muscles in and around the eye, those that move the eye and the muscles that change the shape of the lens, like any other muscle in the body, can return your eyes to normal vision. So I decided to look into this. I recently bought an anatomy book and a physiology book; I looked into these books to understand how the eye works. In these books under myopia it lists two main causes:
1 - the eyeball shape is elongated and 2 - the lens is too strong.

I received a physics minor at school and I studied lenses in several classes. After looking at the physiology book regarding the lens and muscle that controls it, it does not seem reasonable to me that the lens shape is a major contributor to near or farsightedness. It seems like it is primarily eyeball shape that contributes the most to myopia. So I started exploring what could effect shape. Many people assume that it is genetic and the eye grows into that shape but as you might expect, I don't believe that, entirely, either and I found some people that believe the same way. Through google searching I bumped into the Simple Vision website.

Now admittedly, the two websites that I link here are not very well made and not very well kept up. But their principles seem sound to me. I'm sure that if I search long enough I could find a substantial number of sites that promote these ideas. Maybe they are based on testimonials, maybe they try to make a scientific case or even just trying to sell their program. But I hope I can someday find the diligence to try something out for myself and test the potential truthfulness of these ideas. If this inspires you too look into this for yourself please keep me posted on what you find.

Comments