The Gifts of The Spirit


I talked with a friend a while ago about religion. He said that he had been Christian for a while and studied to become a minister for about seven years. He is no longer a Christian, however, and the reason he gave me was because he didn't know anyone who had the gifts of the spirit; specifically, he wanted the gift of healing by the laying on of hands. But he realized, as he put it, that they do not exist or that no one has them. We didn't go into the details but I was sad for him because he hasn't seen it before. I am sad because I have seen the gifts of the spirit all my life and have known people with all of the gifts mentioned in scripture personally.

I have known people who have seen visions. Visions of angels and visions of future events that came true.
I have known people who have received miraculous healings, some under my hands. When I say that, I'm not talking about in my professional career as a doctor but as an elder in Christ's church. Through the power and authority of Jesus Christ I have laid my hands on people's heads and they have healed from sickness.
I have known people and have been one who had the gift of tongues. Likewise with the interpretation of tongues.

I could go on with other gifts. I have heard countless stories of people living now and others recently who have experienced all of the gifts listed in the Bible as well as others not listed there. My understanding is that this is not seen in other churches. I'm not saying that the spirit does not work on people who have not received the gift of the Holy Ghost. I'm certain that it does. But not as readily, as frequently, or as strongly as in Christ's own church; the church in which He has given power and authority.

Comments