Sets of Three


I know that this is a blog about sets of seven but I have found several sets of three over the years and I want to share them. First I will make a list then explain some of them. The order matters on each of these. If I reordered them it would not have the same effect or power. Meaning what is first must be first. What is second must be second and is central to the set. And what is third must be third.


ThinkDoBecome
KnowCommitBehave
AutonomyMasteryPurpose
PreachingOrdinancesGovernment
InstructServeUnify
BelievethBaptizedSaved
RepentBaptizedBecome
NurturingResponsibilityFriend
ProclaimRedeemPerfect
BelieveObeyEndure
MarketingSalesResearch and Development
RulesTransactionsPlans
PreparedChosenInspired
PhilosophyArtScience
LearnApplyUnderstand
FaithRepentanceBaptism
FaithHopeCharity
LearnLiveShare


Think, Do and Become. I don't remember where I got this. Probably at work. But I think that its roots go back to the phrase "I think, therefore I am." But modified and expanded. I think it is obvious that thinking comes before doing. Doing is central and becoming is the result. There was an excellent talk given regarding the difference between doing and becoming titled "What Manner of Men and Women Ought Ye to Be." This theme was also adopted by Aetna this year for their January, February and March monthly bulletins.

Know, Commit and Behave. I think I got from a stake or regional conference where President Thomas S. Monson, the living prophet of the Lord Jesus Christ, was inspiring us as to the importance of commitment.

Autonomy, Mastery and Purpose are the three things that motivate us. I wrote a blog linking the video back in February of 2011 called The Secret of What Motivates Us.

Preaching, Ordinances and Government are the three purposes of the Melchizedek priesthood. Specifically, "Those who hold priesthood keys direct the preaching of the gospel, the administration of the ordinances of the gospel, and the government of the kingdom of God on the earth." I have reordered this according to what I see as the correct order. Ordinances do not come before preaching because there would be no one to receive the ordinances without first the word of God being preached to them.

Instruct, Serve and Unify are the three purposes of Melchizedek priesthood quorums. Specifically, "The primary purposes of quorums are to instruct members in doctrines, principles, and duties, [to] serve others, and [to] build unity and brotherhood." I have likewise reordered this according to what I see as the correct order. You cannot build unity without first serving each other. You will not serve each other unless you first understand your duties.
Now, there is another set of three in this quote - doctrine, principles, and duties. I would probably reorder this to principles, duties, and doctrines. I see this as, principles are more basic and fundamental than doctrines and duties are central. I have not spent much time on this set so it may be reordered - doctrine, duties, and principles - but I would have to clearly understand the difference between doctrines and principles first. After reading an article titled "Concepts, Doctrines, Principles: Are You Sure You Understand These Terms?" I am leaning toward the second reorder and it is starting to appear more consistent with the other sets of three.

Believeth, Baptized and Saved and Repent, Baptized and Become are to inherit the kingdom of God.

Nurturing, Responsibility and Friend are the three things that every new convert needs but I would say that it is a need for every member. "Every one of them [new converts] needs three things: nurturing with “the good word of God” (Moro. 6:4), a responsibility, and a friend." I obviously reordered this one because I feel that nurturing will hold someone in the church longer and stronger than a friend. Also, I feel that the need to feel needed and to serve is more central and fundamental than having a friend. Having and keeping friends will likely come naturally as a result of the previous two.

Proclaim, Redeem and Perfect is the three fold mission of the church. "The mission of the Church is threefold: To proclaim the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ ... To redeem the dead ... To perfect the Saints ..." I likewise reordered this one; and, I would also reword it. The first mission of the church is to proclaim the gospel. But the central purpose is to redeem both the living and the dead, not just the dead. This redemption is brought about the same way for the living as the dead - being baptized and receiving the temple ordinances. Perfecting the saints cannot be done until and unless the other two are done first. "They without us cannot be made perfect—neither can we without our dead be made perfect."

"Believe, Obey, and Endure" is a broadcast that President Thomas S. Monson gave to the young women of the church in March of this year. He is the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the living prophet of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I am going to hold off on explaining the remaining ones.

Comments