A New Method for Rating Movies


So the other day I was thinking about how bad the rating system currently is. And so I came up with seven areas that I think movies should be rated on. Today movies are rated good, not so good, bad and really bad. Well not exactly but you get the idea. I think each of the seven areas should have positive and negative ratings. Many of you may think that this is over-complicated and it probably is but I think if there were a good better and best mentality for movie ratings then the movie industry might want to out do themselves by making better and better movies instead of worse and worse. And even if that didn't work at least it would give families who are trying to teach correct principles a better view of appropriate movies.

1) Family
2) Agency/Consequence
3) Discipline
4) Authority
5) Body
6) Film Quality
7) God

1 - Movies that promote family as an important unit is needed. Movies that promote family values would get a positive rating and those that promote immorality, divorce, enmity towards spouse or children would get a negative rating.

2 - Movies that promote the proper use of agency will get a positive rating and those that force people or promote making wrong decisions would get a negative rating. Movies that promote justice and consequences for actions taken would get a positive rating. Those that promote violence and war would get a negative rating.

3 - Movies that promote virtuous principles or true principles that require discipline to cultivate, such as tactful speach, would get a positive rating. Those that use rude speach or vulger language would get a negative rating in this category.

4 - Movies that promote respect and obedience to authority including family, government, employment etc. would get a positive rating. Those promoting rebellion would get a negative rating.

5 - Movies that promote good health, modesty, immortality and the body as a good thing would get a positive rating. Those that promote the opposite would get a negative rating.

6 - Movies need to be rated on their quality in terms of acting skill, plot, purpose and so on. This would probably be fairly subjective but it would be very useful in advancing the arts.

7 - Movies that promote God, either directly or indirectly, in His qualities or attributes would get a positive rating. Those that promote Satan or attributes that support him would get a negative rating.

I think one difficulty that this rating system would have is several things could apply to multiple categories in varying degrees. Also some people would justify the negative things because of some positive e.g. because family is promoted the violence is okay and so forth.

Comments

Amen to the rating system. It's terrible how few "really good" movies there are out there. I have become very aware of this matter especially since I started having children. I unfortunately have higher standards for my kids than I do for myself. Wrong, I know, but it's something I'm working on.
I'm making my blog private. Send me an e-mail w/your gmail address if you want access to my blog.